Seeking Executive Committee nominations for the new Canadian Association for Health Humanities
The Canadian Association for Health Humanities (CAHH.ca), which will be launched at the Creating Spaces Conference in Halifax, April 27-28, 2018, is seeking nominations for the inaugural Executive Committee. Positions include President, Vice President/President-elect, Treasurer, and Secretary/Communications.
This dynamic executive committee will create policies and direction to foster the growth and development of our new national, health humanities organization. A lot has already been accomplished thanks to the diligent work of our colleagues, students and friends. Over 1000 people have attended our annual Creating Space conference since its inception eight years ago. We have funding for three years from Associated Medical Services, which is being used in part for start-up costs, including administrative support. The CAHH website is also operating and a conditional constitution has been posted for members’ review.
Fulfilling the duties of CAHH Executive Committee members will require an estimated five to ten hours per month. Committee members must also attend the CAHH Annual General Meeting during Creating Space, and assist in curating and promoting this conference. The term is three years. For additional details see the position outlines below.
You are eligible to run for the committee if you have registered for at least one of the eight previous Creating Space conferences or are enrolled for the 2018 conference, and if you emphasize the health humanities in your clinical, academic or creative/artistic work. You do not have to attend this year’s Creating Spaces Conference to run for a position. We encourage senior trainees (residents, doctoral students, post-docs) to run for office.
Completed applications must be received by April 25, noon EST.
To put your name forth as a candidate, kindly complete the following form: click here. You will be asked to provide a brief statement of interest and qualifications, to disclose any potential conflict of interest and to identify a “seconder” who supports your nomination. This information will be shared with Creating Space attendees, who comprise the eligible voters this year.
Voting will take place on Friday, April 27, 2018 at 5:00 pm. Members and candidates will be informed of the results by April 28, 2018.
Thank you for your support.
CAHH Nominating Committee
Pamela Brett-Maclean PhD
Barbara Sibbald BJ
Allan Peterkin MD
Available Executive Committee Positions
- President: assisted by the vice-president and other members of the executive committee, responsibilities include identifying strategic priorities, creating meeting agendas, chairing meetings, appointing committees, representing the association in public and official functions, ensuring the executive committee fulfills its responsibilities, communicating quarterly with members, helping to identify and support the organizers of Creating Space, and setting an example of scholarship, character and service.
- Vice-President (President-elect): responsibilities include assisting the president in all of her/his duties, performing duties delegated by the president, and setting an example of scholarship, character and service.
- Treasurer: responsibilities include administering the finances of the association including maintaining complete financial records of all income and expenditures, collecting dues and sending reminders, purchasing items or supplies, recruiting potential donors, presenting an annual financial report, and setting an example of scholarship, character and service.
- Secretary/Communications: assisted by the CAHH administrator and webmaster, responsibilities include taking and disseminating minutes, maintaining the membership list, answering inquiries, monitoring updates to the website, assisting the president communicate with members, seeking candidates for vacant positions, liaising with ARS MEDICA, the official CAHH journal, and setting an example of scholarship, character and service.)
Note: A governing council will be set up after the executive is in place.
The CANADIAN ASSOCIATION FOR HEALTH HUMANITIES (cahh.ca) is a learned society based in Canada promoting the development of the medical/health humanities through: an annual conference, council meetings, regional meetings, an associated biannual journal (ARS MEDICA) and a website (cahh.ca). The CAHH promotes understandings of both the human condition and practices of patient care through critical dialogue between medicine/ healthcare across disciplines and the arts/ humanities. It aims to add significant humanistic value to the interdisciplinary cultures of the medical/ health humanities locally, nationally and internationally.
We are pleased to announce the formation of the Canadian Association for Health Humanities!
Over the past few years, there have been increasing calls for a national health humanities association in Canada. This interest has emerged organically from the highly successful, annual Creating Space meetings introduced in 2010 in association with the Canadian Conference on Medical Education (CCME).
The newly-formed Canadian Association for Health Humanities is being introduced to serve and support the ever-growing health humanities community in Canada.
We invite health professions educators, students, practitioners, creative writers and artists, along with scholars across multiple disciplines - whose varying perspectives and creative work encourage a broader, more critical view of health and illness beyond an overriding medicalized framework in support of more humanistic health professions education and practice across Canada and abroad.
CAHH activities, both current and planned, reflect growing interest in the vibrant, ever-evolving field of the health humanities. These activities include:
- annual Creating Space meetings
- website platform, listserv, and social media for information sharing and networking
- association with the journal ARS Medica
- formal affiliations with other international medical/ health humanities associations
- other new initiatives, proposed and organized by CAHH members
Join us at CREATING SPACE, April 27-28, 2018 in Halifax to ratify the CAHH Constitution and to elect the officers of your new Association!
REGISTRATION AND INFORMATION AT :
Our Donors and Supporters
We thank Associated Medical Services, Inc. (AMS) and the CCME for their ongoing support of Creating Space, as well as local funders at the hosting medical schools of CCME each year. We also thank AMS for new funding and operational support of the newly formed CAHH.
Through their membership fees, CAHH members also help to support ongoing activities of the association.
We welcome donations to help sustain CAHH, our new national Association, and our literary journal Ars Medica, website and annual conference, Creating Space.
Support CAHH by making a donation. Contact us: email@example.com
Nous sommes fiers d’annoncer la création de l’association canadienne des sciences humaines et sociales en santé.
Au cours des dernières années, plusieurs ont réclamés la création d’une association nationale visant l’intégration de l’enseignement des sciences humaines et sociales au sein des programmes académiques des sciences de la santé. Cet intérêt a émergé de façon spontanée de l’immense succès remporté par les éditions successives du colloque Creating Space depuis son instauration en 2010. La création de l'Association canadienne des sciences humaines et sociales en santé vise à répondre à cet appel et à desservir cette communauté en pleine croissance au Canada.
L’association accueillie les professionnels de la santé, les enseignants, les étudiants, les cliniciens, les créateurs et les artistes, ainsi que les chercheurs de toutes disciplines. Elle cherche à soutenir, par la diversité des points de vue et des expériences, l’émergence d’une vision plus large et plus critique de la santé et de la maladie afin de favoriser l’adhésion à un enseignement et à une pratique plus humaniste par les professions de la santé tant au Canada qu’à l’étranger.
Les activités de l’ACSHSS témoignent de cette diversité et comprennent :
- les rencontres annuelles Creating Space
- la communication et le réseautage par l’entremise du site web, de la liste de diffusion et des médias sociaux
- une entente avec la revue spécialisée ARS Medica
- l’affiliation formelle avec plusieurs autres associations internationales, ainsi que
- plusieurs initiatives, proposées et organisées par les membres de l’ACSHSS
Prochaines étapes...Joignez-vous à nous au prochain colloque Creating Space, du 27 au 28 avril 2018 à Halifax, pour ratifier la constitution de l’ACSHSS et pour élire les dirigeants de votre nouvelle association!